Late last month I completed my MBA dissertation. Here it is in pdf form, with all references to my employer removed.
I'm thrilled with it but:
- It's written to PASS an MBA course so it's written in an academic style.
- I've simplified things a lot so that it's easier to mark by people who may not be IT literate. So, it's not a complete and utter analysis because that would have been too hard to mark (or do justice within 10,000 words).
- It's primarily written to be useful. The recommendations are genuine and I've started discussing them with our senior management BUT the downsizing was announced days after I handed it over, so they have temporarily lost interest.
- This might sound strange given my obvious (I hope) passion for AGILE, but I tried very very very hard to not present AGILE as the solution. Where I work if people hear AGILE they think XP and they think cowboys. Instead I recommended incremental delivery (using Scrum) - when you read the anlaysis it's obvious that the waterfall approach is what's killing our projects and incremental delivery is the obvious solution.
- Since I've paid for my MBA out of my own pocket and I'm likely to be downsized I'm starting to look for a new job.
Please don't tell me about any spelling mistakes. I'm too fragile :)